SIGSOFT funds to support the travel of 10 students to the 50 years of the ACM Turing Award Celebration
The ACM final Turing Award Celebration will be held on June 23 - 24, 2017 at the Westin St. Francis in San Francisco. ACM Turing laureates will join other ACM award recipients and experts in moderated panel discussions exploring how computing has evolved and where the field is headed. Details about the program can be found on ACM's conference site.
ACM SIGSOFT is offering scholarships to 10 PhD students traveling to San Francisco for the event. Each scholarship includes:
- Two nights at the Westin St. Francis Hotel in San Francisco (Thursday and Friday June 23-24, 2017)
- Up to $900 to help offset the cost of travel/subsistence.
Awarded students will receive a check from ACM upon submittal of receipts for the travel.
How to submit your application
Interested applicants should be PhD students and should submit at the
following submission link https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=scholarshipsta17 a single pdf file including the following information:
- A detailed CV that includes your research interests and publication list. It should also include the following: your complete name, email address, US postal address or equivalent, and SSN or equivalent.
- A statement where you explain why you are interested in participating to the Turing Award Ceremony.
- The PhD advisor contact.
The available 10 scholarships will be granted based on the following
- Scientific merits: please make sure that you highlight in your CV all your scientific achievements (publications, awards, code products, ...).
- Geographical location: the second selection criterion after merit will be geographical distance from San Francisco. We will give priority to those candidates that are farther away from the event venue.
- Deadline for application: March 1st 2017
- Deadline for notification: March 15th 2017
- Elisabetta Di Nitto, Politecnico di Milano, elisabetta dot dinitto at polimi dot it
- Mark Grechanik, University of Illinois at Chicago, drmark at uic dot edu
- Oksana Tkachuk, NASA, oksana dot tkachuk at nasa dot gov
- Willem Visser, Stellenbosch University, willem at gmail dot com
- Tao Xie, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, taoxie at illinois dot edu